Have you made wafflewiches yet? If not, this is a great recipe for that. We used a Baby Cakes waffle stick maker to make gluten free, vegan, top 9 free waffle sandwiches that fit PERFECTLY into the Planet Box Rover Lunchbox. Hence, lunchbox waffles.
These waffles come together FAST. For even faster results, combine all of the dry ingredients into a baggie and store it like you would a box mix.
I suggest either making the waffles fresh each time you’d like a waffle sandwich, OR, make a big batch and freeze them. We’ve found that waffles in the fridge for the next day aren’t nearly as awesome.
Free From: Wheat/Gluten, Dairy, Egg, Soy, Tree Nut (including Coconut), Peanut, Fish, Shellfish, Top 8 Allergens, Sesame, Alliums, Avocado, Banana, Beans & Lentils, Berries, Buckwheat, Carrot, Celery, Cinnamon, Citrus, Corn, Cruciferous, Garlic, Legume, Lupin, Mushroom, Mustard, Nightshade, Oat, Onion, Pea & Pea Protein, Potato (Nightshade Variety), Poultry, Red Meat, Rice, Squash & Gourd, Strawberry, Sweet Potato & Yam, Tapioca/Cassava/Yuca/Manioc, Tomato, Yeast
Friendly To: Diabetic, EOE, FPIES, Vegan
Compatible With: Apple Free, Cane/Refined Sugar Free, Latex Cross Reactive Foods Free (H/M), Stone Fruit Free, FPIES
For Apple Free, Latex Cross Reactive Free, and FPIES: Use an alternative vinegar of choice.
For Cane/Refined Sugar Free: Use an alternative granulated sweetener such as maple sugar.
Stone Fruit Free: Use an alternative oil instead of the olive oil.
I Can Have Wheat. How Do I Make These Waffles?
If you’re able to have wheat, skip the sorghum, millet, and arrowroot. Use 230g of an AP flour (not self rising) instead.
Can I Use Different Gluten Free Flours?
Yes! You’ll need 230g of your favorite blend of gluten free flours. Please note however, many gluten free flours have a specific taste. If you change which flours go into the recipe, we can’t guarantee that the flavor will remain the same. This is especially true if you plan to use something like buckwheat.
Do I Have To Use The Baby Cakes Waffle Maker?
To make awesome gluten free waffle sandwiches, yes, you will need to use a mini waffle maker. We happen to have the Baby Cakes brand.
If we were to make these waffles in our Waring Pro, they would simply be much too big for a waffle sandwich.
More About Our Gluten Free, Vegan Waffle Sandwiches
When making these into sandwiches, be sure to put a spread on both waffles. It can be a nut, legume, seed, or tuber butter/spread. We opted for a seed butter, banana slices, and top 8 free chocolate chips.
You can put whatever combination of fruit and spread on your waffle sandwich. You can even use something like cream cheese as the spread.
For your fruit filling, we suggest whole fresh fruit or sugar free jam/preserves. If you use whole fruit, such as raspberries, give them a squish so the cover as much of the waffle as possible.
- Mini Waffle Maker
- 2 TBSP Golden Flax Meal + 4 TBSP Water
- 135 g Sorghum Flour, superfine OR Brown Rice Flour, superfine
- 65 g Millet Flour, superfine
- 30 g Arrowroot
- 30 g Organic Cane Sugar OR Alternative Granulated Sweetener
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 12 ounces Milk of Choice
- 3 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Organic Vanilla Extract
- Combine the flax and water together in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine your milk of choice and vinegar together and set aside.
- Add all of the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and combine well.
- Add the milk/vinegar mix to your dry ingredients and mix.
- Add the oil and vanilla, and continue to mix.
- Scoop your flax gel into the mix and combine all of the ingredients together well.
- Cook your batter in a waffle maker according to your personal preference. We suggest a Baby Cakes Waffle Maker for waffle sandwiches.